The basic principle behind a good user experience or UX is to give just enough info to people who find it difficult to multitask to move on to the next stage. However, the key here is ‘just enough information.’ If you supply the users with too much information then there is a high chance that they will “crash.”
- For example, if the app is designed for workouts, then the users will probably want to know about the cost of membership along with the inclusions and exclusions within the package. It is just the primary things that they will want to know first.
- On the contrary, if you provide different success stories and explain exactly how a user can lose weight, in all possibilities the users will get annoyed.
In order to make sure that they do not leave your site it is important to keep things as simple and precise as possible. This is the first and probably the most significant principle of creating a good UX design.
However, this is just the ‘tip of the iceberg’ when it comes to UX designer jobs NYC. You will also have to give your users a sense of control.
Inclusion of videos
When comes to providing control to the users, you will have to consider how to include a video in the design. This is the most important thing to consider because:
- A video popping up and playing automatically is perhaps the most annoying thing to a user
- It will make them feel that they have no control over the app and
- It will encourage them to leave your site.
Therefore, if you want to specialize in UX design, then be informed that adding a video that starts playing automatically is not a good thing to add especially when your prime intent is to increase the rate of conversion.
Following human nature
It is the basic nature of humans to have control because it gives a sense of authority and is comforting as well. It is all about the primitive intuition in humans that makes them feel there is a danger around the corner when something pops up unexpectedly.
However, this is all about the human survival of the dark ages. As of the moment, you will have to make sure that the level of trust in your users does not go down by removing this “danger” from your website. This will inevitably and eventually increase your chances of conversion.
Now, you may wonder, how on earth do those videos on Facebook are so popular even after these play by default automatically. There are a few simple answers to that such as:
- It all lies in the expectation of the users and
- They are able to change this default setting.
All users logging on to Facebook typically look for engaging content that they can share with others and therefore do not mind and in fact, they expect such videos to pop up and play automatically. All of these give them a proper sense of control.
Therefore, you have to remember two main things here and those are:
- When you add automatically playing videos in your design it can become the blatant tool to snatch away the control button from the users and
- You can make it happen more subtly though.
Another thing that is very important to know here is that if you create really long web pages then it will make your users feel lost or at a loss. A few simple ways to overcome that are:
- Inclusion of videos and
- Sticky menus, both just at the right places and at the right time.
Just like unplanned videos can be a hindrance to UX, web traffic and conversion, push notifications similarly can be an infringement to the privacy of the users as well. You can solve this problem by allowing your users to choose the way they would prefer to be notified.
For example, if you are designing a workout app you can:
- Give the users an option of a message that will motivate them and include an alarm that they can set accordingly or
- An option of a reminder when they come back from their work every day or at the end of the week as per their preference.
The advantages of using such options are that you will not make things look like making a forced sale but instead make your users feel like they are making their personal choices.
The F pattern
Another significant thing that you should keep in mind is creating the F pattern. According to a Nielsen study, more than two hundred web users were analyzed across thousands of websites and it was found that most people prefer to scan any web page in an F-pattern. This is the process where the users:
- Notice the starting line of a web page before scanning it vertically and
- When they find something that raises their interest they scan it again horizontally.
This creates an F-pattern.
In order to create this pattern which is the primary element that will increase the rate of conversion you will have to follow these steps:
- Make sure that you include a very strong element at the upper left-hand corner of the web page such as the company logo or latest offers
- Craft it is such a way that it gets noticed easily and definitely and
- Take proper note of how the users react to such inclusions.
One simple way to achieve this is by placing elements of different shapes after a couple of rows. You may also add advertisements as these works wonderfully but make sure that you do not use Calls to Action for this purpose. This is because it is likely to get ignored which will not help the conversion rates in any way. In short, it is very important to make sure that your web design is over and above the usual monotony so that you can keep the level of interest of your users as high as possible.