In a few weeks, OceanWP will make the transition from selling with Easy Digital Downloads to Freemius.
You may ask yourself, why this change? The simple answer is that Freemius is much better than Easy Digital Downloads in many ways.
I’ve been thinking of making the switch for a long time, and after extensive discussion with Vova Feldman (the founder of Freemius), I discovered that Freemius will be much better for OceanWP and for the people we care about the most: You – our customers.
Below are some important points to help you understand why we made this decision and what upcoming changes there will be to OceanWP’s platform.
1. License Activation
2. Free Trials & Deactivation Feedback
3. The Unlimited Plan will be the Agency Plan
Furthermore, having an unlimited license increases our support load and responsibility disproportionately to the value of OceanWP’s products and the customer support required for larger companies. So, as a young company who needs to keep growing to meet demand for our products, we’ve decided it’s best to have a special onboarding process for larger agencies who need more than 25 licenses. Please contact our team for enterprise solutions at [email protected] and we’ll surely find a way to accommodate your needs.
4. New User Dashboard
5. Rebuilding OceanWP’s Affiliate Program
The affiliate program will have an awesome upgrade. With the new affiliate program from Freemius, affiliates will be able to advertise the free OceanWP theme on the WordPress.org repository using a unique custom URL. When new users of the free theme upgrade to a premium extension, the commission will continue to be tracked and earned by the affiliate.
Although it may seem counterintuitive to market a free product, there are actually much higher conversion rates in the WordPress ecosystem using the “freemium” pricing model, so affiliates will likely earn more as a result.
- Offering free trials gives users the opportunity to try before they buy
- We have more flexibility with adjusting our pricing options with Freemius, so in the future we can experiment and see what works best for our customers
- Automated cart abandonment recovery emails will remind customers to return and purchase or upgrade products for which they started checkout
- A “dunning” mechanism that reminds users about renewals will reduce failed payments and churn rates
- When users deactivate OceanWP products, a feedback form will now pop up so we can now learn where we need to improve on our products
All existing affiliates will need to apply for the new program. We will be much more selective on who can join our affiliate program as the terms will be more relaxed (meaning you can make more money!).
If you have any questions for us – please feel free to leave a comment below and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible!